- For dues paid members of the Satellite ARC
- Controlled by your PC over the Internet
- Virtually anywhere in the world
| RCForb Software |
| Station Location | | You Will Need | | Getting Started | | Hints |
The SARC provides this Remote Base for
- If you are a dues-paid member of the Satellite Amateur Radio Club, you
can access and control the remote base. A club officer controls the list of
authorized users. When you click on W6AB in the list of available remote
radios, you are automatically accepted and forwarded to the radio. If you
have a problem connecting to the radio, your call sign may not yet be added
to the list
Current Station Features
- Built around a Kenwood TS-2000, the station is functional 24 hrs. a day,
in SSB, AM, FM, FM rpt., PSK-31, RTTY and CW modes, on 160M, 80M, 40M, 20M,
17M, 15M, 12M, 10M, 6M, 2M and 75cm.
Uses the popular (free) Remote Hams software for user and station
control. Use any search engine to locate the RemoteHams web site, to
download the software. You must be a licensed amateur radio operator to
download and run the software and submit you call sign.
Three automatically-switched antennas:
- Ant. 1: Full sized 160/80/40M trapped dipole at 42 ft. It is a "cloud
burner" with a high radiation angle -- ideal for medium-range
- Ant 2: Cushcraft R-6000 no-radial omni-directional 1/2 wavelength
vertical. At 50 ft at the base it exhibits a moderately low wave angle
on all bands above 20M -- suitable for both general purpose short range
operation as well as DX.
- Ant 3: VHF/UHF vertical -- excellent coverage up and down the
- Located on the California central coast, north west of Santa Barbara, south of
San Luis Obsipo and Santa Maria, Latitude: 34.8, Longitude -120.5,
elevation 970 ft. Six miles from the nearest town, Lompoc, atop a small
hill, the site is excellent for RF propagation and has an exceptionally low
You'll Need for Your PC
- A microphone and speakers (or headphone). ( If you are already set up for
Echolink or IRLP you may need little level adjustment.).
- RCForb software.. Free Download: Use a search engine to locate the
RemoteHams Web Site. Install the Client version of the software for your
- You may want to also download the PDF file that has the documentation for
using the remote interface. From the HOME page of the RemoteHams Web Site
click on Documentation.
- The software functions well under Windows
XP, 7, 8 and 10
- This RCForb software can be used to connect to several different remote
radios. many do not have restricted use.
- When you first start the software it presents a list of the various
systems. Use the search window directly above the station list to find the
W6AB remote base then double click on the highlighted (yellow) entry to
connect to the radio.
- The radio powers down after each use. Click on the PWR button to start
- Select the band, frequency, and mode. Tabs along the left hand edge allow
changing bands and frequencies.
- To use digital modes you must configure your own digital software to
interface with the speaker and microphone audio then restart your
- When using the radio on the VHF and UHF bands you will probably want to
use FM mode and set the repeater offset and CTCSS frequency
Genuinely Useful Hints From Users
Use the antenna tuner when you change bands or frequency more than a
DON'T BE AFRAID TO USE THE REMOTE --
NOBODY'S MONITORING YOU
AND YOU CAN'T HURT ANYTHING.
The receiver is genaral coverage. It listens with no transmit outside
the ham bands.
DO NOT transmit in the band segments outside your license class. You are
operator when using the remote base.